Recent Posts

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

It's the Hap-Hapiest Season of All



Christmas is undoubtedly my favorite time of year. There's so much to enjoy and to do from decorating the tree, decorating the house, enjoying a plethora of Christmas movies, making homemade gifts (a tradition in our home), putting gingerbread houses together, wrapping presents, Christmas parties, get-togethers and events. You have so many more opportunities to reach out into you community in some way, and people are for the most more giving and kind than any other time of the year. And of course, let's not forget the food. The cookies, the candy, the egg nog, Christmas Eve dinner for my family (with my Dad's birthday on Christmas Eve), Christmas morning goodies, and finally Christmas Dinner. Yes, my jeans are groaning as I write this. 

The only problem (if you even want to call it that) that arises with the holidays is there just is never enough time to try and squeeze in absolutely everything you want to do or try. I probably have a list of a hundred different peppermint Christmas treats I want to try, not to mention dozens of cookies and candy recipes. There is just no time to try every new holiday recipe and still enjoy the holidays. I guess sometimes, you can either just choose to settle with only three types of Christmas candy (instead of seven), or you could throw in a couple of these quick Christmas Candy treats. 

I’m not sure why, but I have never made peppermint bark. Never. I’ve enjoyed it plenty over the past few Christmas holidays, but never actually made it myself. So, over the weekend we were booked with Christmas related plans and I thought I would make a batch to tote along on our festivities. Low and behold, when I consulted my trusted candy guide, candy thermometer laid out and ready to go, I quickly discovered that this is probably the easiest candy in the world to make. The hardest part is probably breaking up the candy canes. It's so easy, in fact, that at Daniel's suggestion for an additional version, I quickly whipped up this "Egg Nog Bark" to enjoy as well. Safe for the kiddies, don't worry. 

Peppermint Bark

1 12 oz bag white chocolate
About 3 regular sized candy canes, crushed
½ tsp peppermint extract
1.      1. Line baking sheet or glass baking dish with wax paper.
2.      2. Carefully melt chocolate (over low heat or preferably in a double-boiler), being careful not to scorch.
3.      3. Once melted, add peppermint extract and a handful of crushed candy canes (less than half).
4.      4. Carefully pour chocolate mixture on wax paper lined sheet or dish. If necessary, carefully spread to even out slightly. Quickly top with remaining candy cane bits.
5.      5. Allow to set (15-20 minutes). Break apart, and enjoy!

To dress it up, first melt 1 (12 oz) bag of chocolate (milk/dark/semisweet your choice), adding ½ tsp peppermint extract and pour into wax paper lined glass baking dish. Follow above directions, pouring mixture on top of regular chocolate.

 
Egg Nog Bark

1 12 oz bag white chocolate
2 tsp nutmeg, divided*
1 tsp rum flavoring

1.       1. Line baking sheet or glass baking dish with wax paper.
2.      2. Carefully melt chocolate (over low heat or preferably in a double-boiler), being careful not to scorch.
3.      3. Once melted, add rum flavoring and one teaspoon of nutmeg.
4.      4. Carefully pour chocolate mixture on wax paper lined sheet or dish. If necessary, carefully spread to even out slightly. Quickly top with remaining nutmeg, using more or less as desired for appearance.
5.      5. Allow to set (15-20 minutes). Break apart, and enjoy!
6.       
* Typically, I’m a strong proponent of using freshly ground nutmeg. It’s relatively inexpensive and packs a strong flavor. BUT, in this case, because you are going to want to use more for appearance purposes, I would use a high quality ground nutmeg.

Last, but certainly not least, it wouldn’t be Christmas without fudge, and nor would it be Christmas without sharing a family story. Luckily, this recipe will give you both. 

Given my baking and all things sweet addiction, for our first Christmas together as husband and wife I went on a baking extravaganza, making peppermint fudge, chocolate fudge, tons of cookies, and tossing in this super easy peanut butter fudge for a last minute gift for co-workers. Our next Christmas together, on my first day of baking, I did not begin with all three fudges. Instead, I began with my assortment of cookies, and only had time to do a peppermint fudge. My sweet husband comes home and as I show him the gems of my days labor one by one, he looks perplexed and confused. As I show him the peppermint fudge (that is somewhat labor intensive I might add), he responds, “but I like peanut butter fudge.”

So, despite giving him a hard time every year for this incident, every year we also enjoy this super easy, takes-you-longer-to-do-the-dishes-afterward, peanut butter fudge.

5 Minute Peanut Butter Fudge

1/2 cup butter, plus more for greasing pan
1-1/2 cups peanut butter
1/2 cup half & half
2 teaspoons vanilla
2  pounds powdered sugar

1.       1. Grease 10x10 dish with butter.
2.      2. Pour all ingredients into a microwave safe dish.
3.      3. Microwave on high for three minutes.
4.      4. Stir well with a wooden spoon.
5.      5. Pour into prepared dish. Allow to cool and set.
6.      6. Cut and store in between sheets of wax paper in air-tight container.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Tracy said...

More holiday candy ideas! I admit to being particularly smitten with the 5 Minute Peanut Buter Fudge. Thank you for the inspiration.

Drick said...

wow, when we do hear from ya'll, it is always a winner and this time we got three - I know what you're talking 'bout with not enough time, but somehow we get through it and the unchecked items really won't matter, at least in a month or so... Happy Holidays you two... hope these next couple of weeks are joyous...

Diana's Cocina said...

Well done~You had me with 5 Minute Peanut Butter Fudge!

Post a Comment